Sunday 7 September 2008

Waiting for the phone call.

While over the past few years the advent of mobile communication in this country has changed our lives to the degree where the phone has become an additional organ essential for human survival, it has also done an irrepressible harm.

The wait for that one phone call that you are expecting, waiting for, or fervently hoping for ( in my case all 3 but mostly the last one) seems like endless years of purgatory. Now I am not a religious man, but I think that looking at endless populace waiting at the gates of hell, God devised this ingenious idea of putting us ( or rather me ), through purgatory while I am alive.

Now this wait is more tolerable in the company of friends and people that you know and love, but if you are drifter like me, living a gypsy life out of a suitcase, a laptop and a series of cold, clinical hotel rooms, each moment of this wait seems like years in purgatory.

I am not even sure if I have done something to deserve this. I mean yes I do take the God’s name in vain, but that seems to be the extent of it. ( By the way, do the commandments of another religion apply to you even if you are unsure about your own). Some questions need better answers, or rather these questions can be better answered by some of you.

So go ahead and enlighten me, as to why a phone call from that one person, means so much that you sit staring at your phone almost willing it to ring. If I were to stare at my dinner so intently I guess it would have cooked itself. I apologize for the bad metaphor but at this moment I am not finding anything remotely funny.

By the way if you are wondering, the staring doesn’t help, I tried praying for a while, but like I told you I am not a religious man. Neither does chanting, Maori war dance, Sioux rain dance, chanting Ragas, holding your breath, pulling at your hair or staring at the clock ( that just makes you dizzy and makes you wonder about the space-time continuum and I am already too involved in this matter of universal proportions).

I am still wondering what would help, would calling her help ??? But then the rules of engagement, as explained to me by friends, state –

Do not come across as a Psycho
Do not call again and again
Appear indifferent
Showing that you don’t care about her calling helps

Not care about her calling ???? I mean who came up with these rules, certainly not someone who liked the other person, or enjoyed being in her company or talking to her..

Anyways .. too much said on the subject. While this may appeal to the sense of humor of some of you, kindly consider this – while you are laughing I may still be expecting, waiting or fervently hoping for the same phone call.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the importance of the person increase when you are alone..It does..but ideally should not. It happened to me too.

Btw, Jeffery Archer is going to sue to for excessive use of the word purogatory :P

Akshat said...

i knw what you mean my Templar knight .. but we don't live in an ideal world do we ???
:P

Unknown said...

hmmmm ur blog just reminded me of 'call me dot dot dot' ;)

Unknown said...

akshat.. this comment goes out as u r tellin me on phone... "pls mere blog pe commnt daalo.... isse mera traffic badega...n i will get a chance to get professional"....

Unknown said...

samjhdar ke liye isshara kaafi hai.... so jiske liye blog likha hai..kripya karke phone uthayein.... n akshat ka number dial karein... dhanyawad

Vishal said...

Became nostalgic seeing ur post. I hope the person has called u up. :)

atlee said...

Solution...expand ur network...talk to more ppl...and u will forget about that important phone call...

Anonymous said...

hmmmm....hope u hv finally rcvd the call...jus in case, if u hv not...the simplest solution tht i can think of is to give the person a call ya...don go by the principles laid by th world....do wht mks u feel better!! :)

june said...

Those rules were made by complete dimwits, in my opinion. If you were to ask me, (a big IF there), you should have the liberty (and the guts) to call the lady whenever you please to do so. :)

MAXIMUS said...

now this is so damn regular.
you have grown stronger young one. the forces are visibly stonger in your skills...